Install the TurboTax CD/Download software for Windows
Article ID: GEN12443
Installing TurboTax is easy. Just remember not to install TurboTax on a removable flash or thumb drive.
- Close all browser windows and programs.
- Temporarily disable your firewall and antivirus software.
- (Download versions) Double-click the TurboTax download icon. Find your download.
(CD versions) Insert the TurboTax CD into your computer's CD drive. The installation process should start automatically, but if it doesn't:
- Click Start, then click All Programs, click Accessories, and finally, click Run.
- Click Browse, and then navigate to the TurboTax CD on your CD/DVD/RW drive (usually Drive D).
- Double-click the setup.exe file.
- Click OK to launch the installer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing TurboTax.
- Re-enable the firewall and virus-detection software you turned off in Step 2.
When you're ready to work on your state tax return, TurboTax will walk you through the TurboTax State installation process.