This error can occur when the Microsoft .NET Framework Installer cannot install and/or update your system. Some possible causes include:
- Damaged Windows file and folder permissions
- Damaged Windows Registry key permissions
- Damaged Microsoft .NET Framework installation
Solution (TurboTax 2010)
To resolve this issue in TurboTax 2010:
- Click here to obtain the .NET Cleanup Tool and then click the "zipped folder" icon to download the tool. Save the zipped file on your desktop.
- Close all browser windows and programs.
- Double-click the dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip file on your desktop to open it.
- In the opened .zip file, double-click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
- Windows XP: Clean up .NET 3.5 – .NET 3.0 – .NET 2.0, in that order.
- Windows Vista: Clean up .NET 3.5.
- Windows 7: From the Windows Start menu, type cmd in the Search programs and files field and press Enter.
- In the black cmd.exe window, type sfc /scannow (include a space after sfc) and press Enter.
- Restart your computer, and then install TurboTax.
Solution (TurboTax 2009)
To resolve this error in TurboTax 2009:
- Download and run the .NET Utility Tool.
- Restart your computer.
- Install and/or reinstall TurboTax 2009.
If the error persists, try the following:
- Download and run the .NET Verification Tool to determine which version of .NET is damaged.
- Repair the damaged version of .NET
- Install TurboTax 2009.
If the repair does not resolve the issue, reinstall the .NET Framework.