You can import tax information from Quicken, QuickBooks, and participating financial institutions into the TurboTax CD/Download software, which saves time and reduces errors.
As you work on your tax return, TurboTax prompts you to import information where appropriate, allowing you to choose the data you want to import. You can also initiate an import at any time; click a link to learn more.
Note: Although all TurboTax CD/Download software versions support some type of import, there are limitations; for example, TurboTax for Mac doesn't import QuickBooks data. See Importing into TurboTax for a complete list on what you can or cannot import into TurboTax.
Import from Quicken or QuickBooks
Do this before you import Quicken, QuickBooks, or .txf files into TurboTax:
- Enter all your financial information into your financial software before importing.
- Import any QuickBooks information before you import from Quicken.
- (QuickBooks) Assign the tax-related items in your financial program to the appropriate tax forms and lines in your return as best you can. Refer to your financial program for instructions on how to do this.
- (Quicken) Before importing, you must assign tax forms and lines to your Quicken information. If you don't, the information will not import. We recommend you run a Tax Schedule Report in Quicken to check tax form and tax line assignments before importing.
- (TurboTax for Windows) If importing from Quicken or QuickBooks:
- Be sure the Quicken or QuickBooks software is installed on the same computer where you'll be using TurboTax.
- Likewise, the data file to import from should be on your local drive, not on the network.
- Open the Quicken or QuickBooks data file you want to import. In QuickBooks, this would be the company file (.qbw file name extension). In Quicken, leave the file open until you've successfully imported the information into TurboTax.
Here's how to globally import from financial software:
- Start TurboTax and open your tax return file.
- From the TurboTax File menu, select Import > From Accounting Software (Windows) or Import > From TXF Files (Mac).
- Choose the program or file you want to import data from, click Continue, and then follow the onscreen instructions.
You can also import selectively as you go along through the interview.
Note: TurboTax for Mac does not support QuickBooks data import.