TurboTax Free Audit Support Guarantee Provides Year-Round Support from a Tax Expert
Getting a letter from the IRS can be scary, especially if it’s an audit notice.
That’s why we offer our free Audit Support Guarantee, in addition to our other types of audit assistance.
We provide the following three methods of audit support:
- Audit Support Guarantee. Live assistance in understanding IRS and state tax agency notices and general information about how to prepare.
- Free downloadable Audit Support Center. Free online information and tools to help you manage federal and state letters, notices or audits related to returns you prepared using TurboTax.
- Audit Defense. Full-service representation before federal or state auditors. Purchased at time of filing.
What is Audit Support Guarantee?
When you file your 2012 taxes with TurboTax, we’ll provide free audit guidance year-round one-on-one guidance from a TurboTax tax expert to answer your questions about what to expect and how to generally prepare. Note that we will not represent you, provide legal advice, or help develop a defense strategy.
Our free guidance is available by phone.
TurboTax experts will:
- Help you understand what the letter or notice that you received means. (Most are not about audits.)
- Tell you what to expect and generally how to prepare.
- Assist with outlining your next steps.
Note: We will not represent you or provide legal advice.
If you’re not satisfied with how we responded to your inquiry, we’ll refund what you paid for your federal and state tax preparation products. Customers who filed using TurboTax Federal Free Edition are entitled to a payment of $14.95 and a refund of any state product price paid.
Who are these TurboTax tax audit experts?
They are credentialed tax experts: certified public accountants (CPAs), enrolled agents, and tax attorneys.
Does this guarantee include audit prevention?
No, it doesn't. Only the IRS or state agencies can determine which returns are audited. The IRS routinely and randomly audits a small percentage of returns.
Learn more about the guarantee and info related to possible IRS or state agency notice/letters from the FAQs below.
Which TurboTax products are covered by the guarantee?
All 2012 individual federal and state tax returns, including those filed with our Home & Business, Federal Free Edition, and Federal Free File Alliance software.
All other fees, including electronic filing fees, Refund Processing Service, and Audit Defense, are excluded.
Note: The guarantee applies only to tax year 2012. Returns prepared with TurboTax Business (Forms 1065, 1120, 1120S, and 1041) are NOT covered. For audit guidance, you may want to:
- Consult with a tax expert, such as a CPA or Enrolled Agent (EA).
- Review the IRS explanations of what various notices mean and how to respond:
What is not covered by the guarantee?
The Audit Support Guarantee does not:
- Include audit or legal advice
- Provide audit representation
- Include tax returns from years prior to 2012
- Cover returns that are rejected by the IRS or a state taxing authority
- Cover TurboTax Business
- Provide audit guidance for 1040 NR (nonresident) returns
- Cover notices or letters received from the IRS or state revenue department that are more than 3 years from the filing deadline for the return (doesn't include extensions)
- Tax returns prepared or filed that don't adhere to the end-user license agreement
How does this differ from Audit Support Center or Audit Defense?
Audit Support Center is a free, self-help tool. This downloadable software from Tax Resources, available through TurboTax, helps you determine whether you've received a notice or an audit and provides step-by-step instructions on how you should respond.
Audit Defense is a service you purchase through TurboTax before you file your return. Services include defending your return, scheduling and attending auditing sessions and assisting with all correspondence, at no additional cost.
How do I make a Support Audit Guarantee claim?
The guarantee applies for three years after the first 2012 filing deadline, which is April 15, 2013. Your claim for a product refund must be submitted within 60 days of the date you received audit guidance, but no later than June 15, 2016.
This guarantee cannot be combined with any other guarantee.
To qualify, you must successfully e-file, print and mail your individual federal or state income tax return (with paid or qualifying free federal return) using TurboTax 2012.
Claims must be submitted to Intuit within 60 days of the date you received your audit guidance by submitting a claim with all of the following documents:
- Audit Support Guarantee Claim Request Summary
- Copy of your TurboTax proof of payment
- IRS or State audit letter
Send these to Intuit Consumer Group Inc., Returns Department, 112 Hidden Lake Circle, Duncan, SC 29334. Please use a traceable mailing method and maintain copies of submitted items for your records.
Claims of non-payment will require photocopy substantiation of all required items. Please allow up to 6 weeks for processing and delivery. If after 8 weeks you have not received your check, contact us. To validate your claim, and as a precondition of refund payment, Intuit may require your TurboTax 2011 data file and/or other supporting information such as copies of your printed tax returns.
What if I get a notice/letter from the IRS or State Authority?
If you receive a notice/letter from the IRS (for example, CP2000) or State Tax Authority regarding your 2012 tax return(s), you may want to contact the TurboTax Audit Support Service. The service provides one-on-one audit guidance from an experienced and credentialed tax professional (CPA, EA, or JD).
A tax professional will be assigned to handle your case. Your tax professional will review the notice/letter you received from the IRS or State Tax Authority and provide guidance on how to prepare for the audit. Finally, your tax professional will prepare an email summary of your discussions.
The service cannot provide support for the following:
- Audit representation and/or legal advice
- Audit letter advice for TurboTax Business product
- Advice on notice/letter for tax return prior to 2012
- Returns rejected by the IRS and/or State Tax Authority
- Audit guidance for 1040NR (nonresident) as well as all federal tax forms not supported by Turbo Tax 1040 products: Federal Tax Forms Not Supported by TurboTax 1040 Products.
- Tax returns prepared or filed that do not adhere to the end-user license agreement