Error Check: TurboTax hangs (stops responding) when reviewing imported financial data
This problem occurs during the error check, when you are asked if certain imported transactions are duplicate entries. When you indicate they are not, the program takes a very long time to proceed to the next step in the error check. It has been reported that TurboTax will sometimes stop responding, freeze, or crash.
Workaround for CD/Download Software
A quicker option to resolve these errors, and to avoid any program freezing or crashing, is by using the Imported Stock Transactions Worksheet in Forms Mode. To do this:
- Look for the Forms button at the top of the program window. In Windows it will be on the right, and on Macs it will be on the left.
- In the sidebar on the left, locate the Imported Stock Transactions Worksheet and click it. (This is the last worksheet in the federal form list)
- Next, click on the Forms menu and then select Form Errors. Like Error Check in the interview, this will list all errors in the return.
The Form Errors window will be used as a guide for the transactions that are generating the errors and what needs to be fixed. You will notice that these errors all start the same way, for example, Item o - Duplicate item yes or no-35
The 35, in this example, is the transaction number in this worksheet that needs to be fixed. In the Imported Stock Transactions Worksheet, you will need to scroll to the number in the error and resolve the issue.
Workaround for TurboTax Online
If you experience this issue in TurboTax Online, refer to the steps below to obtain the TurboTax CD/Download product. Once you've opened your tax file in the Desktop version, refer to the steps above.
- To transfer your TurboTax Online tax file to TurboTax CD/Download software, you must first to download your tax file. Click here for help with saving your tax file.
- If you have already paid for your return in TurboTax Online, please contact us.
- If you have not paid for your TurboTax Online return, you can purchase and download TurboTax by clicking here.