A supporting details list contains detailed descriptions and amounts that are totaled on a single line of your tax form.
The supporting details list, which is is for your records only, helps you organize your tax information and reduces the chance of errors by automatically calculating amounts. The IRS does not require that you to include supporting details lists with your return.
Create a supporting details list
TurboTax for Windows
- On the Center left of the screen, select Add Form. Double click on the form that you want to work with. Go to the line on the form that you want to add supporting details to, right click on that line.
- In the supporting details list that pops up, enter a description and amount for each item.
- When you're finished, select the Close button.
Viewing and editing options in TurboTax for Windows
- Sort: Arranges entries alphabetically.
- Delete Line: Removes an entry you select.
- Insert Line: Inserts a line above the entry you select.
- Remove: Deletes the supporting details list.
- Print: Prints the supporting details list.
- Close: Closes the supporting details list.
TurboTax for Mac
- From the Forms menu, open the form that you want to work with. Select the line on the form you want to add supporting details to, and then select Supporting Details from the Edit menu.
- Enter a description and amount for each item in the supporting details list.
- When you're finished, close the Supporting Details window.