Suppose you're preparing your joint return, and TurboTax asks you to enter your spouse's social security number. You don't have your spouse's number handy, so what do you do?
Well, you can flag the entry, skip over it for now, and then easily jump back to that screen once you've obtained the missing information. Click your version for more instructions.
To create a Flag in TurboTax Online:
- Click Flags in the upper right corner of your screen (next to Tools) and then click Add.
- The Flags window opens. Enter a Title, an optional Note, and then click Save.
- Continue working on your tax return. When you are ready to enter the missing information, click Flags (like you did in Step 1) and then click the corresponding flag to return to that screen.
- To remove the flag, click the "X" to the right of the flag and confirm that you want to delete it.
TurboTax Software for Mac
In TurboTax for Mac, you can drag and drop notes from the Flag onto the TurboTax screen.
Here's how it works: Let's say you need a social security number. Create a Flag in TurboTax and set an iCal reminder. Then, using your MobileMe account, synch the iCal app on your iTouch or iPhone with iCal on your Mac. Once you have the social security number, update the Flag on your mobile device. The next time you open TurboTax, click the Flag and then drag and drop the social security number to the entry field.
To create a Flag in TurboTax desktop software for Macintosh:
- On the left side of your TurboTax screen, click the plus (+) sign next to Flags.
- Enter a Title, optional Notes, and an optional iCal reminder with a follow-up date. Click OK.
- Continue working on your tax return. When you are ready to enter the missing information, click the corresponding flag to return to that screen.
- Once clicked, the flag will turn blue and you'll be taken to the flagged screen. If you updated the Flag with missing information using a mobile device, just drag and drop it to the empty field.
- To remove the flag, click the "X" on the flag and confirm that you want to delete it.
Here are some things you should know about the Flags feature:
- Flags are not available in TurboTax Business.
- Flags only appear in Step-by-Step mode, not in Forms mode.
- Open Flags that were not addressed in the interview will not be detected during the Final Review.
- In some cases, you may not be taken back to the exact screen you flagged. Instead, you may land on a Summary screen. In these cases, you'll simply click Edit (or similar) to get back to the flagged screen.