Important Dates and Filing Deadlines for 2012 Federal Tax Returns
Upcoming Dates and Deadlines
Unless otherwise indicated, deadlines are at 11:59:59 P.M. (one second before midnight) local time for the date given.
June 17, 2013
- Deadline for filing a 2012 tax return or extension for taxpayers (or military personnel) living abroad.
- The return or extension must be postmarked by Monday, June 17, 2013.
- To avoid late payment penalties, any additional taxes you owe must be paid by this date even if you filed an extension.
July 15, 2013
- Deadline for filing a 2012 personal tax return for taxpayers living in Boston and Suffolk County, Massachusetts. More info
- The return must be e-filed or postmarked by Monday, July 15, 2013.
- Eligible taxpayers will have until July 15 to pay taxes normally due on April 15, without being subject to the late payment penalty. However, interest will still apply to payments made after April 15.
October 15, 2013
- Final deadline to mail or e-file your 2012 tax return if you originally filed an extension.
October 19, 2013 – Final deadline to resubmit a rejected 2012 return that was originally e-filed on or before October 15.
Expired Dates and Deadlines
January 3, 2013
- The Intuit Electronic Filing Center begins accepting and holding ("stockpiling") 2012 tax returns where all the forms have been finalized.
- The IRS will not start processing stockpiled returns until the morning of January 30.
January 11, 2013 – 2011 filing deadline for qualified individuals and businesses affected by Hurricane Isaac. More info
January 30, 2013
- IRS begins processing previously stockpiled e-filed returns at 9 A.M. Eastern time.
- Note: Due to the enormous backlog of returns waiting to be processed, this does not necessarily mean that the IRS will process your return at 9 A.M. Eastern time.
- If you e-filed on or before January 30, please allow up to 72 hours to receive an acknowledgement.
- IRS begins processing paper-filed returns.
April 15, 2013
- Deadline for filing a 2012 tax return or extension for most taxpayers.
- The return or extension must be postmarked or transmitted for e-filing by Monday, April 15, 2013.
- To avoid late payment penalties and interest, any additional taxes you owe must be paid by this date even if you filed an extension.
April 20, 2013
- Deadline for resubmitting or mailing a previously rejected e-filed federal return that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline if you did not file an extension.
- Deadline for resubmitting or mailing a previously rejected extension that was originally e-filed by the April 15 deadline.