Error: "Form 982, Line 10b must have a value" When Attempting to Efile
If you enter information regarding a cancellation of debt based on a 1099-C you received, you may have seen the following error when attempting to efile:
The error is preventing you from efiling your return.
You can resolve this error as long you meet the following tax situation regarding the cancellation of debt:
- The home reported was your primary residence.
- The 1099-C that you received was a result of a cancellation of your primary residence debt.
- You're reporting a foreclosure, short sale, repossession, voluntary conveyance or another type of transaction. This does not apply to loan modifications.
- You're not reporting a loan modification.
- You no longer own the home.
If you meet the situation described above, when prompted with the error message, enter a zero in the field. This will resolve the error and allow you to continue to efile you return.