Error preparing your Return for Transmission when attempting to E-File
The following message appears when clicking on the Transmit Returns Now button:
Error Preparing your return for transmission. Please try again later.
This issue occurs when filing your returns that include a nonresident filing.
To work around the issue you must make a small change to your nonresident filing informaiton and revert the change back to how you had it originally. Please follow these steps to successfully E-File you nonresident return.
- Open your tax return in TurboTax and click on the File tab, located after the Review tab.
- Continue through the interview screens until you come to the Review Your <State Name>
Filing info screen, for your nonresident state.
- Click on the Edit button and make a change to any of the information on this screen. Example: If you are using direct deposit, change the method to Mail me a check, or vice versa.
- Change the information that you just changed back to how it was originally.
- Continue through the Interview screens to transmit your return electronically.
- You should no longer see the error message.