IRS Rejection 0526: "On Form 2441/Schedule 2, the qualifying person's social security number..."
IRS rejection code 0526 occurs when someone has already claimed the Child Care Expense credit for the same child on their tax return. The full message reads:
Error Code 0526: On Form 2441/Schedule 2, the qualifying person's social security number cannot be used more than once in the return or on another return.
How to resolve this error
Because the IRS only allows one taxpayer to claim the Child Care Expense credit for a particular child, you'll need to remove the credit from your return:
- Click the Federal Taxes tab (or the Personal tab in Home & Business) and then choose Deductions and Credits.
- Scroll down to the Child and Dependent Care section and click Update.
- Answer Yes and click Continue.
- You should now be on the Dependent Care Expenses Summary screen. Click Delete, then click Yes to remove Form 2441 from your return.
- Click the File tab and follow the on-screen instructions to re-file your return.