E-file rejection errors 0522, F1040/F1040A-524, F1040/F1040A/F1040EZ-525, or F1040SSPR-524/-525
Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0522, F1040-524, F1040A-524, F1040-525, F1040A-525, F1040EZ-525, F1040SSPR-524, or F1040SSPR-525, along with this explanation:
The date of birth you entered on this return does not match what the IRS has in its files for you. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Your date of birth or Social Security number was mistyped in TurboTax; or
- The information on file at the IRS is incorrect (this is uncommon).
Do This First
Get your Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure your information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then click Personal Info.
- Continue to the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- Next to your name, click Edit.
- Make sure your Social Security Number exactly matches the information on your Social Security card, and that your Birth Date is correct and entered in MM/DD/YYYY format (not the European DD/MM/YYYY format).
- If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Continue until you're back at the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- If you made any corrections, click Done With Personal Info at the bottom, and then e-file your return again.
- Otherwise, if you verified that the info you entered is correct, proceed to Next Steps, below.
If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches your Social Security card, and that your birth date is correct and has been entered in MM/DD/YYYY format, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.
In the meantime, your best option is to file a paper return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take at 4–6 weeks or even longer.