E-file rejection errors 0535 or SEIC-F1040-535-01
Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0535 or SEIC-F1040-535-01, along with this explanation:
Schedule EIC - Qualifying SSN, Line 2 of Schedule EIC and the corresponding Year of Birth, Line 3 must match data received from the Social Security Administration.
This rejection error occurs when the dependent's Social Security number and/or date of birth entered in TurboTax doesn't match what's on file with the Social Security Administration or the IRS.
First, double-check the information you entered in TurboTax against each dependent's Social Security card:
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- Click the Personal Info tab and continue to the Your Personal Info screen.
- Scroll down to About Your Dependents and click the Edit button.
- Click Edit next to the first dependent on the list.
- Make sure the Birth Date and Social Security Number exactly matches the dependent's Social Security card.
- If it matches, click the Back button and repeat Steps 4 and 5 for any other dependents.
- If it doesn't match, make the corrections and click Continue. Then repeat Steps 4 and 5 for any other dependents.
If you corrected any dependent's information, continue with the steps to e-file your return.
However, if the information you entered in TurboTax exactly matches what's on the Social Security card(s), call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 to verify the information for each of your dependents.
- If the information they give you differs from what you entered, correct it per the instructions above and e-file your return again.
- If the Social Security Administration verifies that the information is correct, you will need to print and mail your return.
Unfortunately, we are unable to assist you further with this rejection error, as the problem lies with government agencies' data that we have no control over. After mailing your return, we suggest you follow up with the IRS so you can e-file next year's return without getting rejected for the same error.