E-file rejection errors 0524 or F2441-524
Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0524 or F2441-524, along with this explanation:
On the child and dependent care expenses form (Form 2441/Schedule 2), a qualifying dependent's Social Security number and last name do not match the IRS's records. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration (SSA). You may need to update the dependent's information with the SSA, including name, date of birth and Social Security number.
How to resolve this error
You need to verify, and if necessary, correct the social security number and name for each of your dependents. Here's how:
- Open your return in TurboTax Desktop or log in to TurboTax Online.
- Select the Personal Info tab, and then select You & Your Family.
- In the About Your Dependents section, select the Edit button.
- Verify the social security number and the name.
- Verify that the dependent's Social Security number (SSN) matches his or her Social Security card.
- Make sure the dependent's name is not misspelled, and the middle initial and suffix have been entered in the correct fields.
- If this information is correct, select the Back button and repeat Steps 3 and 4 for each of your other dependents.
- If this information is incorrect, update it, save your return, and then re-file. You will not be charged again to re-file the same return electronically.
- If this information is correct for all your dependents, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 and verify the information that they have on file for each of your children.
- If the SSA has incorrect information, then submit a request to have the information changed. This process generally takes 4 to 6 weeks. If you can't wait this time to re-file electronically, then you need to print and mail your return.