E-file rejection errors 0515 or IND-515
Your e-filed return is rejected with error code 0515 or IND-515, along with this explanation:
The Primary SSN in the Return Header must not be equal to the Primary SSN in another return filed for the same tax year.
- Open your return in TurboTax and click the Personal tab (or the Personal Info tab in the Home & Business version).
- Proceed to the Your Personal Info Summary screen and make sure that:
- You didn't accidentally enter the same Social Security number for yourself and your spouse; and
- All Social Security numbers on the return exactly match the number(s) on the corresponding Social Security card(s).
- If all information is correct, proceed to Step 3.
- Otherwise, click the Edit button, make the correction(s), and continue until you're back on the Your Personal Info Summary screen. Then, e-file your return again.
- Call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify your Social Security number(s), date(s) of birth, and name(s).
- If any of the information differs from what you entered, change the information in TurboTax to reflect the SSA's information and then re-file your return.
- Otherwise, if you verified that your information is correct, proceed to Step 4.
- At this point, you'll need to file a paper return. Regrettably, we are unable to further assist you, as the problem lies with government agencies' data that we have no control over.
Important: If you believe someone else used your Social Security number on their return, call the IRS Identify Theft Hotline at 1-800-908-4490.