E-file rejection errors 0508, IND-508, or IND-510
Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0508, IND-508, or IND-510, along with this explanation:
The primary taxpayer's Social Security number was used as a secondary taxpayer's Social Security number on another return (the other return has a filing status of married filing jointly or head of household/claiming exemption for spouse) AND/OR The secondary taxpayer's Social Security number was used as the primary taxpayer's Social Security number on another return.
Note: The primary and secondary taxpayers are the persons listed first and second on the tax return:
How to resolve this error
To correct an error relating to primary or secondary taxpayer's social security number, follow these steps:
- If you need to reference the e-file status information for this return at any time, select the File tab at the top of your screen, then select Check E-file Status.
- Select the Personal Info tab at the top.
- Select You and Your Family. At the Your Personal Info Summary screen, Press Edit to the right of the person whose SSN you'd like to check.
- Verify that the taxpayer's social security number (SSN) matches the information on their social security card.
- If you used this social security number on a prior-year return for the current tax year, the primary or secondary taxpayer's SSN has been accepted on a previous tax return. This return is not eligible to be filed electronically for the current tax year. You must print and file this tax return by mail.
- If you didn't use this social security number on a prior-year return, call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at (800) 772-1213 to verify what it has in its records for the primary and secondary taxpayer. The SSA may need to update its records. If so, it could take up to four weeks. When the records are updated, you can then re-transmit the tax return. You will not be charged to e-file the same tax return.
To print your tax return and file by mail, follow these steps:
- At the top of your screen, select the File tab.
- Select File by Mail. You'll see the Print Return(s) to Mail Interview topic.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to print your return and file by mail.