E-file rejection errors 0503 or R0000-503
Your e-filed return is rejected with error codes 0503 or R0000-503, along with this explanation:
[Spouse's name] Social Security number and last name does not match what the IRS has in its records. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Your spouse's Social Security number or last name was mistyped in TurboTax; or
- The information on file at the IRS is incorrect (this is uncommon).
Do This First
Get your spouse's Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure his or her information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then click the Personal Info tab.
- Continue until you reach the Your Personal Info screen.
- Next to About [your spouse's first name], click Edit.
- On the Let's Check Your Spouse's Info screen, make sure that both the Name and Social Security number exactly match the information on your spouse's Social Security card.
- If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Continue until you're back at the Your Personal Info screen.
- If you made any corrections, click Done With Personal Info at the bottom, and then e-file your return again.
- Otherwise, if you verified that the info you entered is correct, proceed to Next Steps, below.
If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches your spouse's Social Security card, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.
In the meantime, your best option is to file a paper return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take 4–6 weeks or even longer.