IRS Automated Help for Completing Student Aid Form (FAFSA)
College students and their parents who fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA must include certain income tax data.
To make the application process easier and to ensure that required tax information is accurate, the IRS has created the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. It's available to those using the online version of federal government's FAFSA application. To get a printed version of a TurboTax return, please see Get a Copy of Your Tax Return for Your FAFSA Form.
Taxpayers who wish to use the tool to complete their 2013-14 FAFSA form must have:
- Filed a 2012 tax return.
- A valid Social Security number
- A Federal Student Aid PIN (individuals who don’t have a PIN, will be given the option to apply for one through the FAFSA application process), and
- Not have changed marital status since Dec. 31, 2012
If any of these apply to the student or parents, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool can not be used for the 2013 FAFSA application:
- The 2012 tax return was amended
- The federal tax filing status on the 2012 return was married filing separately.
To get more information, please see Automated IRS System Helps College-Bound Students with Financial Aid Application Process.
Or to use the tool, go to Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Note: If the IRS Data Retrieval Tool can not be used and if the college requests verification documentation, it may be necessary to obtain an official transcript from the IRS. To order tax return or tax account transcripts, go to Order a Transcript on the IRS web site or call the Transcript toll-free line at 1-800-908-9946.