Retail TurboTax Purchases Are Not Allowing Free State Download
We have heard from some retail customers that when they attempt to install their free state product within TurboTax Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business, they are being asked to pay a fee of $39.95 for that product.
We are currently trying to validate this problem, but want to make sure of a couple things first:
- Did your state install but anytime you try to access it, you get a message your product is up to date and you seem to be stuck in a loop? If so, please see this support article.
- Try relaunching TurboTax after an attempt to download the state
- Are you being asked to pay for the state download of the product for $39.99 or for the state e-file fee of $19.99? There is a state e-file fee associated to these products, only the federal e-file is free.
- The box or title of the product you purchased does indicate there is a free state download included.
- Your purchase was a new product and not someone reselling the TurboTax product on a website such as Amazon.
- You are not using TurboTax Online which does not include a free state product.
- Support is still here to help you. If you do find you are attempting to download your first free state and you are being prompted to pay, contact us and we can help resolve this problem.
Thank you for all who signed up on this support article. What we are finding is most people are experiencing the issue related to number one above, where there is a state install looping issue that asks for additional payment.
If you have been charged for a state download fee that should have been free, please contact our sales and service department for a refund of those fees.