Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes
You'll receive a Form 1098-C if you donated a motor vehicle, boat, or airplane from the charitable organization, whose name is shown on the front of the form.
You will need to send the IRS Copy B of this form when you e-file (or attach it to your return if you file a paper return) along with Form 8453 if the claimed value is $500 or more. TurboTax will help guide you through this.
Generally, the charity must furnish this form to you no later than 30 days after the date it sold the donated vehicle (if box 4a is checked), or 30 days after the date of the contribution (if box 5a or 5b is checked). If none of these boxes is checked, you must obtain this form by the due date (including extensions) of your tax return for the year of the contribution (or, if earlier, the date you file that return).
If you file your return electronically:
- Print a paper copy of Form 8453 to file separately from your return, and
- Attach Copy B of Form 1098-C to the Form 8453, and
- Mail the Form 8453 with the Form 1098-C attached to the address provided in the filing instructions.
If Copy B of Form 1098-C is required and you do not submit it, the IRS will disallow your deduction.
Entering Form 1098-C into TurboTax.
Don't worry! When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we’ll ask you questions about your donations, figure out how much you can deduct, and fill in all the right forms for you.
If you've already gone through the step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screens for Form 1098-C, follow these directions.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in Home & Business).
- Select the Deductions & Credits section.
- Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the Charitable Donations group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Donations to Charity in 2012 category.
- Follow the prompts.
What if I received a form 1098-C from multiple charities?
TurboTax can easily handle multiple 1098-Cs. After you've entered in your first donation, TurboTax will ask you if you need to add any additional donations. Simply click on the Add Another Charity button below the list of charities and follow the prompts.
If you have yet to receive your 1098-C, please click here to explore your options.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered from your 1098-C, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form 1098-C, please click here.