Virginia 2011: Credit for Low Income
For 2011, Virginia taxpayers who have Earned Income Credit on their federal form 1040 or federal form 1040A, or whose income is below the federal poverty guidelines may be eligible for a credit for low income on their Virginia tax return under certain circumstances.
Certain customers, who had both an Earned Income Credit on their federal return and a credit for low income on their Virginia tax return, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed your 2011 Virginia tax return before January 28, 2012 AND
- You had an Earned Income Credit on your federal form 1040A, Line 38a or federal form 1040, Line 64a AND
- On your Virginia return, you received a low income credit (See Form 760CG, line 21) AND
a. You were claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return AND/OR
b. You were blind or age 65 and older AND/OR
c. You had an amount on age deduction on line 4 of your Form VA 760CG AND/OR
d. You had an amount on any of the following line items on your Virginia’s Other Subtraction Statement:
i. Line 28, Virginia National Guard Income
ii. Line 38, Basic Military Pay
iii. Line 39, Federal and State Employees
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your Virginia tax. You may need to amend your Virginia tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print thisAuthorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the state taxing authority.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Virginia 2011: Low Income Credit.