Pennsylvania 2011: Part-Year Residents and Wages
Pennsylvania part-year residents pay income tax on any income earned while living in Pennsylvania.
Certain Pennsylvania part-year customers, who received a W-2 from a state other than Pennsylvania, may have filed an incorrect Pennsylvania tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 Pennsylvania part-year tax return prior to March 7, 2012 AND
- While you were living in Pennsylvania, you earned income in another state AND
- That state was NOT Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio, Virginia or West Virginia AND
- That income was not reported on your W-2 as PA income (see box 15) AND
- The income was not included on your Pennsylvania Form PA-40, line 1a (Gross compensation.)
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your Pennsylvania tax. You will need to amend your Pennsylvania tax return.
Let us do the work for you. We highly recommend this.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your amended (corrected return) is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the state taxing authority.
Or you can make the corrections yourself. However, the amend process can be complex.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Pennsylvania 2011: Part-Year Resident W-2.