Iowa 2010: State Legislators Bring Iowa 2010 Tax Law in Line with Federal Law
On April 12, 2011, Iowa enacted legislation that brings Iowa into agreement with federal legislation retroactive to January 1, 2010.
Certain TurboTax customers, who filed their 2010 Iowa return prior to May 10, 2011, did not receive affected federal deductions and/or credits on their Iowa state return.
The TurboTax Iowa product was updated for these changes on May 10, 2011.
How to tell if you are impacted
If you meet the following criteria, you will need to amend your Iowa return:
- You filed your 2010 Iowa return prior to May 10, 2011 AND
- You had one or more of the following on your 2010 federal return:
- Educator expenses (Form 1040, line 23 or Form 1040A, line 16),
- Tuition and fees deduction (Form 1040, line 34 or Form 1040A, line 19)
- States sales/use tax deduction (Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, amount on line 5 and line 5b is checked for general sales tax)
- You entered an IRA distribution (Form 1099-R) and indicated that all or part was transferred to a qualified charitable organization and therefore all or part was not taxable on your federal return (must be age 70 1/2 or older).
- You received an Earned Income Credit (Form 1040, line 64a, Form 1040A, line 41a, Form 1040EZ, line 9a)
- Business asset depreciation – elected to take the Section 179 election (deducted the full value of the item in 2010) and the total amount was over $134,000.
If you are affected, you should amend your Iowa tax return.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Iowa: Conforming to federal.
Let us do the work for you. We highly recommend this.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 6 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign and mail the corrected return to Iowa.
Or you can make the corrections yourself. However, the amend process can be complex.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy to Iowa.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the TurboTax email.