Certain customers who reported retirement income on their 2009 Wisconsin tax returns did not receive a tax break for which they qualified, the Wisconsin Retirement Exclusion.
These taxpayers prepared and filed the Wisconsin 1A Short Form before March 3, 2010, when the product was updated.
They were entitled to have up to $5,000 of their retirement income excluded from, or not counted as, taxable income.
You are impacted if:
- You or your spouse were 65 years old on or before December 31, 2009 AND
- Your 2009 federal adjusted gross income (or AGI) was less than $15,000, or $30,000 if filing a joint return. Locate your AGI on line 4 on federal Form 1040EZ; line 21 on Form 1040A, or line 37 on Form 1040. AND
- You or your spouse received 2009 retirement income on Form 1099-R.
Steps to amend to claim your retirement exclusion
- Open your Wisconsin return.
- Find the amended return section.
- Go to Topic List.
- TurboTax Online
- Go to Tools.
- Click on Topic List.
- Scroll down to State Taxes > Wisconsin > State Interview > Your Wisconsin Return > Miscellaneous> Other Forms.
- Click on Amended Return, Resident, This Year.
- Prepare your Wisconsin Amended Return.
- On the “Amend Your Resident Return?” screen, click Yes to continue.
- On the “Copy Federal Amended Explanation?” screen, click No to continue.
- On the About Your Wisconsin Amended Return” screen.
- If you paid a balance due on your original Wisconsin tax return, scroll down to Line 39, Amount paid with 2009 return. Enter the amount you paid.
- If you received a refund on your original Wisconsin tax return, scroll down to Line 41, Refund from 2009 Return. Enter the amount you received, as shown below. Then Select Continue to go to Page 3 of the Wisconsin Amendment.
- On the “Amended Return – Income Tax, Pages 3-4” screen.
- Select code 03 (Form 1099 change) an Explanation Code.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and fill in the Explanation Statement: "On original return, did not take $5,000 exclusion for retirement income," as shown below. Then check the box Fill in the name used on your 2009 return, then continue.
- Printing Return
- Select the Print & File tab.
- Click Print and Save for your Records subtab.
- Click on the Print Returns button.
- Check all official forms required for filing.
- TurboTax Online
- Click the Print & File tab.
- Select the Print and Save for your Records subtab.
- Open Show Advanced Options.
- Select All official forms required for filing.
- Print out and follow the instructions to file the return.