You may need to amend your 2009 Rhode Island state return if you owned a home jointly and claimed a home-energy credit for more than allowed. In this case your federal income tax may increase and affect the amount of taxable income toward Rhode Island.
Once you have amended your federal return to correct the energy credit, described in Amending a 2009 Return: Joint Homeowners and Energy Credit Error, you can determine if you also need to amend your Rhode Island return.
TurboTax corrected the issue for joint home owners claiming the energy tax credit on May 28, 2010. If you did receive a credit on your federal return that was larger than allowed, you will need to amend your 2009 Rhode Island tax return.
Steps to Amend Your Rhode Island State Return
- Make sure you’ve completed your federal amended return.
- Find the section for setting up an amended return:
- For a CD or Download version of TurboTax, click on the Topic List then follow this path: Locate Rhode Island > State Interview > Miscellaneous> Additional Forms
- For TurboTax Online, click on the Tools icon (located under the refund monitor) and click on Topic List then follow this path: Locate Rhode Island > State Interview > Miscellaneous> Additional Forms
- Select No on the Estimated Taxes for 2010 screen.
- Select No again on the Filing a Rhode Island Extension screen.
- On the Rhode Island Amended Income Tax return screen select Yes, that you would like to amend.
- On the next screen, titled Copy Federal Amended Explanation, select No, you do not want to copy the federal portion.
- Rhode Island does not have an amended form, but now there will be a check in the box on the main form indicating that this is an amended return.
- Print and mail in the new Rhode Island return.
Print Your Amended Rhode Island 2009 Tax Return
- Click on the Print & File tab.
- Click on Print/Save for Your Records.
- For TurboTax CD or Download, click the Print Return button. For TurboTax Online click the Print Returns button on the Print and Save Center screen.
- In the Print window, under the Item(s) to print section, select All official forms required for filing.
- Under the What will print section, uncheck the Form 1040: Individual checkbox.
- Select the Rhode Island Individual checkbox. If you filed multiple states, clear the checkboxes for the other states. Only Rhode Island Individual return should be selected.
- Click the Print button and follow the on-screen directions.
- Do not mail any forms that say Keep for your records.
- You do not need to attach copies of income statements, such as a W-2 or a 1099.