TurboTax recently corrected an issue regarding joint home owners claiming the energy tax credit which was done on May 28, 2010. Due to this change on the federal return the amount on line 52 of the Form 1040 may change depending if the amount is capped by tax liability and provided more adoption credit than it should have. North Carolina takes 50% of the adoption credit amount listed on line 52 of the 1040 and reports it on NC D-400TC, line 22 then to D-400 Line 17. This amount can be deducted depending on the North Carolina tax liability.
If you did receive a credit on your federal return that was larger than allowed, you will need to amend your 2009 North Carolina tax return.
Steps to Amend Your North Carolina State Return
- You’re done with your federal amended return.
- Open your North Carolina return.
- Find the amended return section.
- For Desktop, click on Topic List then follow this path: State Taxes > North Carolina > State Interview > Additional Forms > Additional Forms.
- For TurboTax Online, click on the Tools icon (located below the refund monitor) and click on Topic List, then follow this path: State Taxes > North Carolina > State Interview > Additional Forms > Additional Forms.
- On the “Change a Previous North Carolina Return” screen click Yes to continue.
- Next, on the “Amended Income Tax Resident Return” screen, answer the two questions then select Continue.
- On the “Additional Information” screen check the Amended to report federal change box and click Continue.
- Verify that the Amendment Worksheet, line 2 shows the change for the adoption credit amount change and the Explanation statement is filled in at the bottom of the worksheet, then Continue.
- Next, print your amended return. Below are instructions for printing from the desktop and TurboTax Online products.
Printing Amended Return - Desktop
1. Click on thew File tab, then select the Print/Save for Your Records sub tab.
2. On the "Print and Save Center" screen, click the Print Returns button.
3. Check the All official forms required for filing button and uncheck Form 1040 Individual and any other states. Ensure the box for North Carolina is checked.
4. Print out and follow the instructions.
5. Do not mail any forms that say “keep for your records".
6. You do not need to attach copies of income statements such as W-2, 1099’s.
Printing Amended Return - TurboTax Online
- Click on the File tab, then select the Print/Save for Your Records sub tab.
- On the "Print and Save Center" screen, click the Print Returns button.
- Your return will open in an Adobe PDF preview window. Click on the Print icon located in the upper left of this window to print.
- Note: If you are using a Mac computer, your return may open in Preview. If so, Print is under the File menu.
- Print out and follow the instructions.
- Do not mail any forms that say keep for your records.
- You do not need to attach copies of income statements such as W-2, 1099’s.