Detailed instructions for amending your 2011 Ohio return
It might seem a little complicated at first, but don’t worry.
These instructions will guide you every step of the way, making the amend process easier and helping ensure the accuracy of your amended return.
We strongly recommend keeping this window open or printing this article so you can refer to it as you amend your Ohio return.
By the time you come to the Important: Read and Follow Your Ohio Amend Instructions page, we’ve already transferred any relevant info from your federal amended return to your Ohio amended return.
After you select Continue, you’ll see the Copy Federal Amended Explanation page. If you want your federal amend explanation to be copied to your Ohio amended return, answer yes. If not, answer no and enter your explanation on the Tell Us Why You’re Amending page.
Note: In most cases, we usually don’t need any more info than this and you can skip to Review your Ohio amend info.
But if you have additional changes you need to make for Ohio (see example below), use the Topic List to find and go to the area where you need to make your change:
To use the Topic List:
- For Windows, select the Show Topic List button in the upper right-hand corner (under Help Center). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
- For Mac, select the Topic List icon at the top of the screen (next to Search Topics). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
Example of steps to make an Ohio-specific change:
- If you’re amending to add a contribution you made to an Ohio 529 plan, use the Topic List and scroll to and click on Adjustments to Income. This will take you to the part of your return that covers Ohio’s 529 plan contribution deduction.
- On the paged called Educational Changes to Income?, check the box for Contributed to an Ohio Tuition Trust Authority’s CollegeAdvantage fund (Section 529 Plan) and select Continue.
- Enter your 529 plan info (beneficiary name, contribution amount, etc.).
- Continue until you come to the Summary of Ohio Changes to Federal Income page. At this point you’ll be done with this area of your return, and you’ll be ready to finish up your amended return. (If you have any additional changes to make for Ohio, use the Topic List again, and then scroll to the area you need to make changes to. Once you’ve made all your changes, you’re ready for Step 5.)
- Next, you’ll need to get back to your amended return.
- From the Topic List, scroll to and click on the Amended Income Tax Return (Form IT-1040X) link.
- Continue until you get back to the Important: Read and Follow Your Ohio Amend Instructions page.
- Select Continue until you see the Prepare Amended Return page.
Review you Ohio amend info
When you come to the Prepare Amended Return page, you’ll be able to see the form (IT-1040X) for your amended return.
- Scroll through and review your amend info.
- Answer any questions that may still need to be answered, and change any info or numbers that need to be corrected.
- Choose a reason why you’re amending.
- Check the box next to the reason that best describes your reason for amending.
- Give a detailed explanation of adjusted items. Be sure to clearly explain the changes you made on your amended Ohio return.
- When you mail in your return, be sure to include any documents and/or schedules relating to the changes in your amended return.
- Select Continue.
- When you come to the page titled Let’s Make Sure You’re Ready to Review, answer yes if you're ready to review and select Continue.
- If you’re not ready to review, answer no.
- Make any additional changes or updates.
- Continue until you get to the page Ready to Review Your State Return and follow the instructions below.
You should now see the Ready to Review Your State Return page.
- Select Continue. At this point we may check your Ohio amended return for errors.
- Correct any errors.
- Select Continue on the Error Check Complete page.
- Select Done With States on the You’re Done with 2010 Ohio page.
- Continue to Wrap-Up.
- Print your Ohio amended return.You’ll be asked to print (and save) both your federal and Ohio amended returns in Wrap-Up.
- Note: If you’re amending only your Ohio return, you’ll need to print in Print & File (not Wrap-Up).
- Sign and mail your Ohio amended return.
- Drop your amended Ohio return in the mail. Just like the IRS, the state of Ohio does not allow amended returns to be e-filed. The mailing address will be included in the filing instructions, which will print out along with your amended return. The filing instructions will also let you know if you need to attach any other forms to your return.
- That’s it! Once your Ohio amended return is in the mail, you’re all done.
About school district returns: If you filed an Ohio school district tax return (Form SD 100), you’ll need to visit Ohio’s Department of Taxation website to get the school district amend form (SD 100X). Fill out, print and mail in this form.
About city returns: If you filed a city return, you can amend it using the Topic List. Scroll to City Income Tax and click on either the RITA Municipal Income Tax (Form 37) or City Tax Forms (Form 120-16-IR) link. Answer the questions, and make any necessary updates.Your updated city form will print out along with your amended Ohio return. If you’re using Form 120-16-IR, write “amend” somewhere on the form to indicate you’re amending. Mail in your amended city return.
Note: Be sure to save a copy of your amended tax return. You'll transfer your amended information to next year's version of TurboTax.