Detailed instructions for amending your 2011 North Carolina state return
It might seem a little complicated at first, but don’t worry.
These instructions will guide you every step of the way, making the amend process easier and helping ensure the accuracy of your amended return.
We strongly recommend keeping this window open or printing this article so you can refer to it as you amend your North Carolina return.
If you are amending both your federal return and North Carolina state return (recommended), once you have finished amending your federal return, please select Continue when you see the screen titled Let’s Amend Your North Carolina Return.
By the time you come to the screen called Important: Read and Follow Your North Carolina Amend Instructions, we’ve already transferred any relevant information from your federal amended return to your North Carolina amended return.
- Select Continue.
- On the screen that says Amended Income Tax Return, answer the questions about your address.
- If you want to copy the reason why you're amending from your federal return to your North Carolina amended return, answer Yes.
- If not, select No and enter your explanation directly on the screen titled About Your North Carolina Amended Return.
- Continue to the Additional Information page and check the boxes that apply to your situation.
- Select Continue.
- Confirm the amount of refund received or payment made on your previously filed 2011 return.
Making changes to your North Carolina return
If you do have additional changes you need to make for North Carolina (see example below), use the Topic List to get you to the right place in your return where you can make your change.
To use the Topic List:
- For Windows, select the Show Topic List button in the upper right-hand corner (under Help Center). Scroll down and click on the area you want to work on.
- For Mac, select the Topic List icon at the top of the screen (next to Search Topics). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
Example of steps to make a North Carolina-specific change:
- If you’re amending to add a contribution to a parental savings trust fund, use the Topic List to scroll to and click on Contributions to a Parental Savings Trust Fund. This will take you to the part of your return that covers the contribution deduction.
- Enter your contribution amount on the page called Contributions to a Parental Savings Trust Fund.
- Continue until you come to the Adjustment Summary page. At this point you’ll be done with this area of your return, and be ready to finish up your amended return. (If you have any additional changes to make for North Carolina, use the Topic List again. Once you’ve made all your changes, you’re ready for Step 4.)
- Get back to your amended return from the Topic List,. Scroll to and click on the Additional Forms link.
- Continue until you get to the screen that says Change a Previous North Carolina Return.
- Select Review my 2011 amended return, then Continue.
- Continue to the About Your North Carolina Amended Return page.
Review your North Carolina amend information
When you come to the About Your North Carolina Amended Return page, you’ll be able to see the form (D-400X-WS) for your amended return.
- Scroll through and review your amend info.
- Answer any questions that may still need to be answered, and change any info or numbers that need to be corrected.
- Choose a reason why you’re amending.
- Check the box next to the reason that best describes your reason for amending.
- Give a detailed explanation of adjusted items. Be sure to clearly explain the changes you made on your amended North Carolina return.
- When you mail in your return, be sure to include any documents and/or schedules relating to the changes in your amended return.
- Select Continue.
- When you come to the page titled Let’s Make Sure You’re Ready to Review, answer yes if you're ready to review and select Continue.
- If you’re not ready to review, answer no.
- Make any additional changes or updates.
- Continue until you get to the page Ready to Review Your State Return and follow the instructions below.
From the page called Ready to Review Your State Return, please:
- Select Continue. At this point we may check your North Carolina amended return for errors.
- Correct any errors, based on the prompts.
- Select Continue on the Error Check Complete page.
- Select Done With States on the You’re Done with 2011 North Carolina page.
- Continue to Wrap-Up.
- Print your North Carolina amended return.You’ll be asked to print (and save) both your federal and North Carolina amended returns in Wrap-Up.
- Note: If you’re amending only your North Carolina return, you’ll need to print in File (not Wrap-Up).
- Sign and mail your North Carolina amended return.
- Drop your amended North Carolina return in the mail.
Just like the IRS, the state of North Carolina does not allow amended returns to be e-filed.
The mailing address will be included in the filing instructions, which will print out along with your amended return.
The filing instructions will also let you know if you need to attach any other forms to your return.
Once your North Carolina amended return is in the mail, you’re all done.
Note: Be sure to save a copy of your amended tax return on your computer. You'll transfer your amended information to next year's version of TurboTax.