Detailed instructions for amending your 2011 New York return
It might seem a little complicated at first, but don’t worry.
These instructions will guide you every step of the way, making the amend process easier and helping ensure the accuracy of your amended return.
We strongly recommend keeping this window open or printing this article so you can refer to it as you amend your New York return.
By the time you come to the Important: Read and Follow Your New York Amend Instructions page, we’ve already transferred any relevant info from your federal amended return to your New York amended return.
Note: In most cases, we usually don’t need any more info than this and you can skip to Review your New York amend info.
But if you have additional changes you need to make for New York (see example below), use the Topic List to find and go to the area where you need to make your change:
To use the Topic List:
- For Windows, select the Show Topic List button in the upper right-hand corner (under Help Center). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
- For Mac, select the Topic List icon at the top of the screen (next to Search Topics). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
Example of steps to make a New York-specific change:
- If you’re amending to adjust tuition expenses, use the Topic List and then scroll to and click on the College Tuition Expenses link. This will take you to the part of your return where you can enter or edit your tuition information.
- Select Done on the College Tuition Expenses Summary page.
- Continue until you get to the You Just Finished Your New York Return page. (If you have any additional changes to make for New York, you can go to another specific area from here.)
- Next, look for the Other Forms and Voluntary Contributions section.
- Next to Other forms, select Revisit.
- On the Additional Tax Situations page, under Other Forms You May Need, select Update, for the Change (Amend) a Previously Filed Return section.
- Continue until you get back to the Important: Read and Follow Your New York Amend Instructions page.
- Select Continue.
You should now see the You Just Finished Your New York Return page.
- Select Done with New York. At this point we may check your New York amended return for errors.
- Correct any errors and you should be good to go.
- Continue on to Wrap-Up.
- Print your New York amended return.
- You’ll be asked to print (and save) both your federal and New York amended returns in Wrap-Up.
- Note: If you’re amending only your New York return, you’ll need to print in the File section (not Wrap-Up).
- Sign and mail your New York amended return.
- Drop your amended New York return in the mail. Just like the IRS, the state of New York does not allow amended returns to be e-filed. The mailing address will be included in the filing instructions, which will print out along with your amended return. The filing instructions will also let you know if you need to attach any other forms to your return.
- That’s it! Once your New York amended return is in the mail, you’re all done.
IMPORTANT: If you started amending your state return and discover that you don't need to amend, please see Removing a State Amendment Form.
Note: Be sure to save a copy of your amended tax return. You'll transfer your amended information to next year's version of TurboTax.