Amend a 2010 California State Return
Note: If you have a simple tax situation, you’ll likely be using California’s short form (Form 540A). If that’s the case, your amend steps might be a little different than what’s described below.
By the time you come to the Important: Read and Follow Your California Amend Instructions page, we’ve already transferred any relevant info from your federal amended return to your California amended return. In most cases, we usually don’t need any more info than this and you can skip to Review your California amend info.
But if you have additional changes you need to make for California (see example below), use the Topic List to find and go to the area where you need to make your change:
To use the Topic List:
- For TurboTax CD/Download, select the Show Topic List button in the upper right-hand corner (under Help Center). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
- For TurboTax for Mac, select the Topic List icon at the top of the screen (next to Search Topics). Scroll and click on the area you want to work on.
Examples of steps to make a California-specific change:
- If you’re amending to get California’s new home/first-time homebuyer’s credit, use the Topic List and scroll to Taxes and Credits and then California Credits.
- Next, click on the California New Home Credit link. This will take you to the part of your return that covers the credit.
- Answer the question related to the credit and then enter the requested info.
- Continue until you get to the You’ve Finished Your California Return page. (If you have any additional changes to make for California, you can go to another specific area from here.)
- Look for the Other Forms section.
- Next to File An Amended Return, select Start.
- Continue until you get back to the Important: Read and Follow Your California Amend Instructions page.
- Select Continue.
Note: If you’re using California’s short form and you also need to amend for the above reason, you’ll need to switch to the long form.
You can do that from the You’ve Finished Your California Return page:
- Under the General Info section, select Update for Residency Status/Form Selection.
- On the next page, select I’d like to see if the long form is right for me and then select Continue.
- On the Do These Apply to You? page, check the box for I will claim a California credit (other than the renter’s credit). You’ll then be switched to the long form.