If you intended to claim the Georgia Single-Family Residence Tax Credit AND you filed a 2009 Georgia state tax return before January 29, 2010, TurboTax did not give you an opportunity to claim the credit.
(This issue was fixed in later versions of TurboTax.)
If you filed before that date AND your return was accepted by the state of Georgia, you must amend your Georgia state return to obtain the credit.
You cannot correct this on your 2010 return.
Taxpayers could qualify for the credit if they purchased a home between June 1, 2009 and November 30, 2009.
How to amend your return to claim the credit
For step-by-step guidance on amending to obtain this credit, please watch this short video.
is_ab: , seg: 14, pcode: 3468337910, show_vid: true, show_text: false
You need Flash player
You can also follow the steps below:
To begin amending your return
Follow these steps:
1. Open TurboTax and go to Federal Taxes. Select Other Tax Situations.
2. Select Amend a return.
3. Follow the prompts: I already filed the return I want to amend, and it was accepted by the government. Are you here to amend your 2009 return? Select Yes.
4. Have you made any changes to the returns you’ve filed? No, I haven’t touched my returns since I filed them.
5. Tell us about your 2009 returns. Select e-filed or mailed.
6. Have you received your refund or paid your taxes due? Yes or no. If no, you must not amend.
7. IMPORTANT: Tell us why you need to amend your return.
8. I need to change or add something to the return I already filed. See the image below.
Do NOT select the second option (I need to amend only for the homebuyer credit.) That option applies to the FEDERAL homebuyer credit and will only amend your federal and not your state return.
Choose the return you want to amend
This is your last chance to save your original return. Save it so you can refer to it later if needed. Then:
1. Tell us which returns you want to amend. Select the second option: I want to amend only my federal or only my state return.
2. Then select, Amend my Georgia return, as shown below.
Enter purchase information
- On the next screen, enter the purchase date and answer related questions.
- After you enter the purchase price, you should see a screen listing your credit (of up to $600).
- Continue through the program until you return to the screen titled Revisit your Georgia info.
- Select Done with Georgia.
- If you should see a screen called, "Check this entry," select Amended Fed N, for no, you’re not amending your federal return now.
- Continue through to Error Check.
- Next, print your return.
- Your printout will include instructions on where to mail your amended return.
- You will need to give your amended return a name that’s different from your original return and then save a copy. The amended version is what you’ll use when transferring 2009 tax information when you file your 2010 taxes.
IMPORTANT: Include your purchase documentation
Taxpayers who amend must include with their form the following documentation of the eligibility of the single-family residence:
- A bona fide listing agreement with a real estate agent or broker licensed in Georgia, or documentation that the eligible single-family residence was for sale directly by the owner without a real estate agent or broker.
- A copy of the closing statement.
- If the residence qualifies because the owner’s acquisition indebtedness was in default on or before March 1, 2009, or because it was a residence with respect to which a foreclosure event has taken place, the taxpayer must supply documentation to show that this was the case.