How to Amend (Change or Correct) a 2011 Return You Already Filed
You can amend the 2011 tax return you filed with TurboTax to fix a mistake or to take a credit or deduction you missed.
Note: You will need to print and mail your amended returns because amended returns cannot be e-filed. When your amended returns print, your instructions detailing where to mail the returns will automatically print as well.
If you filed using TurboTax Online
If you have already paid for the 2012 version of TurboTax Online:
Check your payment confirmation email for a link to download the free TurboTax amend software to get further instructions. (Recommended)
If you have not already paid for the 2012 version of TurboTax Online:
- Purchase, download, and install the 2011 TurboTax software that matches the 2011 online version you used. You cannot amend returns online. If you need to amend your state return as well, you should also purchase, download, and install TurboTax State.
- Go to My TurboTax by clicking the link in the upper right corner at TurboTax.com.
- Sign in with the User ID and password you used when you prepared your 2011 return.
- Click Tax Returns.
- In the 2011 folder, click Get a Copy of Return.
- Download the tax data file to your desktop or other easily-accessible folder on your computer. Make sure you click on the blue I need my return in .tax file format at the bottom of the page:
- Rename the extenson on the file to .tax2011
- Skip down to the the Amend Your Return instructions below.
Getting Started (TurboTax CD/Download Software)
- To begin, you will need to locate your .tax data file Windows | Mac
- Launch your TurboTax software if you don't already have it open.
- Check for Updates from the Online menu (or TurboTax menu on a Mac) to make sure your software is up to date.
- Select Open Tax Return from the TurboTax File menu, navigate to your 2011 .tax data file, and open it.
- Your return must be exactly as it was when you originally filed it. If you made any changes since filing, make sure to undo them before proceeding to the next step.
- Copy your file by selecting Save As from the File menu, entering a new name (for example, JDoeAmended.tax2010), and then clicking Save. This preserves your original tax data file in case anything goes wrong
Now you are ready to begin amending!
Amend Your Return
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (Personal tab in Home & Business), and then select Other Tax Situations directly below the tabs.
- On the Other Tax Situations screen, next to Amend a Return, click Start.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to amend your 2011 return.
- When you get to the Tell Us Why You Need to Amend Your Return screen, select the option that applies to your particular situation.
Continue to follow the on-screen instructions and don't worry if your refund meter isn't acting as you would expect. This is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end. Once you've finished the amendment process, the refund meter will display the correct amount for your refund or what you owe.
When you are finished amending, TurboTax will provide you with complete instructions for printing and mailing your amended return. Amended returns cannot be e-filed.
How long does it take to process an amended return?
Please allow 8–12 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.
New! 3 weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking its progress at the newly-launched IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.
Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, you might want to contact your state tax agency.