Form 1040X, Column A contains zeros when amending TurboTax 2010
In some situations, when amending TurboTax 2010, Column A of Form 1040X is populated with all zeros instead of the amounts from the originally filed return.
In addition, the refund monitor is not reduced to zero as described when navigating through the amendment interview. The monitor is supposed to go to zero during amending, to reflect the new tax that is owed or the amount of refund you will receive based on the changes you make.
- Switch to Forms mode and open Form 1040X if you don't already have it open.
- At the top of Form 1040X you will see a row of check boxes with 2010 checked and a field to enter a tax year filled in with 2010.
- Uncheck the check box and remove the 2010 from the field. This will reset the form.
- Next, check ONLY the 2010 check box.
- Scroll down and locate the Manual Selection of Lines Calculated Smart Worksheet and check box A. This will repopulate amounts in the rest of Form 1040X.
- If you do not see the figures repopulate, or column A is still zero, repeat steps 5-9 again.
- Once Column A is populated with your Original Amounts, you can return to the interview and make any necessary changes to your return.
Note: Make sure that only Columns A and C have amounts in them before making any changes to your return.