Federal 2011: Widow(er)'s Sale of Home
On a federal tax return, a taxpayer may be eligible for a $250,000 or $500,000 exclusion when selling their principal residence.
Certain customers, who sold their home in 2011, may not have received all of the exclusion available.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 federal tax return before April 26, 2012 AND
- You used the TurboTax Online product (you did NOT use the TurboTax Desktop/Download product) AND
- You sold your principal residence in 2011 AND
- The gain on that sale was more than $250,000 AND
- Your spouse passed away within two years before you sold the home AND
- Your spouse did not exclude the gain on any home sale within two years before his/her death
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal tax return. Your state return may also be affected and if so, you will need to amend it.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions on:
- Amending your federal return and
- Amending your state return.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of:
- Your federal amended return to the Internal Revenue Service and
- Your state amended return to your state tax authority, if your state return is affected.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form .
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Internal Revenue Service and to your state tax authority if your state return is affected.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Federal 2011: Widow(er)’s Sale of Home.