Federal 2011: Sale of Capital Asset- Losses
Taxpayers may be required to use various methods to report certain losses for asset sales on their federal Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses) or federal Form 4797 (Sales of Business Property).
Customers, who had certain sales of capital assets, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 federal tax return between March 8 and March 14, 2012 AND
- You indicated in TurboTax that you had a sale of one of the following types:
- Second home
- Personal noninvestment
- Section 1242 stock
- Section 1244 stock
- Sale to a related party AND
3. This sale resulted in a loss on your federal Schedule D
If you are affected, you may have overpaid or underpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal tax return. Your state return may also be affected and if so, you will need to amend it.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions on:
- Amending your federal return and
- Amending your state return.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of:
- Your federal amended return to the Internal Revenue Service and
- Your state amended return to your state tax authority, if your state return is affected.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form .
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Internal Revenue Service and to your state tax authority if your state return is affected.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Federal 2011: Loss Sales.