Federal 2011: ROTH IRA Conversion - Taxable Distributions
Taxpayers, who converted funds from certain retirement accounts to a ROTH IRA in 2010, were able to elect to pay the tax on that conversion amount in 2011 and 2012.
Certain customers, who made the above election in 2010 and took a ROTH IRA distribution in 2011, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 federal tax return before January 26, 2012 AND
- You did not open a Roth IRA before 2007 AND
- You received a 1099-R for money you took out of your ROTH IRA AND
- That 1099-R had a “J” or a “T” in Box 7 AND
- You had an amount on 2011 Form 8606, Line 33 AND
- You had no amount on 2011 Form 8606, Line 23
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your federal tax and you may need to amend your federal tax return. Your state return may also be affected and if so, you will need to amend it.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions on:
- Amending your federal return and
- Amending your state return.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of:
- Your federal amended return to the Internal Revenue Service and
- Your state amended return to your state tax authority, if your state return is affected.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form .
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Internal Revenue Service and to your state tax authority if your state return is affected.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Federal 2011: IRA Conversion & Distributions.