Federal 2011: Health Savings Account Distributions
Taxpayers who take distributions from their Health Savings Account may be taxed on certain amounts that exceed allowable limits.
Certain customers, who took a distribution from their health savings account, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 federal tax return before April 26, 2012 AND
- You received a federal Form 1099-SA for your 2011 Health Savings Account distribution AND
- You had amount on your federal Form 8889, Part II, Line 17b AND
- You did not have an amount on federal Form 5329, Part VII, Line 49
If you are affected, your tax return may have incorrectly omitted your excess HSA distribution from taxable income and penalty calculations. If so, you may have underpaid your federal tax and need to amend your federal tax return and possibly your state tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions on:
- Amending your federal return and
- Amending your state return.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of:
- Your federal amended federal to the Internal Revenue Service and
- Your state amended return to your state tax authority, if your state return is affected.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Internal Revenue Service and to your state tax authority if your state return is affected.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Federal 2011: HSA Distributions.