Federal 2011: Child and Dependent Care Expenses for MFJ Filers with Spouse as a Student
Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) taxpayers with child and dependent care expenses must include their spouse’s income when calculating deductible benefits – even if their spouse was a student or disabled.
Certain MFJ customers whose spouse was either a student or disabled, and who had dependent care expenses, may have understated their benefits and filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 federal tax return before April 26, 2012 AND
- Your spouse was a student during any 5 months of tax year 2011 AND
- Your federal return included Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Expenses) AND
- Your amount on Form 2441, Line 19 (spouse’s earned income) DOES NOT EQUAL the amount on Line 5 (spouse’s earned income – spouse was a student or disabled)
If you are affected, you may have overpaid your federal tax. You may need to amend your federal tax return. Your state return may also be affected and you will need to amend it.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions on:
- Amending your federal return and
- Amending your state return.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of:
- Your federal amended return to the Internal Revenue Service and
- Your state amended return to your state tax authority, if your state return is affected.
- Your printed return(s) will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form .
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 15 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Internal Revenue Service and to your state tax authority if your state return is affected.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Federal 2011: Form 2441 MFJ.