Federal 2010: Nondependent Exemption
Certain customers, who claimed a dependent (no blood or legal relationship) who did not live with the taxpayer for the entire year, may have an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if ALL of the following are true:
- You filed a federal tax return before September 21, 2011, AND
- You selected ‘other’ OR ‘none’ as your dependent’s relationship status AND
- You selected ‘Other Dependent’ as dependent type AND
- Your dependent lived with you less than 12 months in 2010 AND
- That dependent IS listed on Federal Form 1040, Line 6c
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your federal tax. You will need to amend your federal tax return.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Federal 2010: Nondependent Exemption.