Some TurboTax customers who claimed the EIC (Earned Income Credit) on their 2009 returns, and also claimed certain dependents, did not receive exemptions for those dependents because of a TurboTax error.
They will need to amend their federal and possibly their state returns.
Who is affected by this?
TurboTax customers who qualified for EIC and claimed at least one dependent on tax returns, AND
- Filed after January 21 and prior to February 13, AND:
- Had dependents age 19 to 24 as of December 31, 2009 AND/OR
- Had dependents who were listed as "other dependent type":
These "other dependents" can include a parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle, OR someone who meets the criteria explained in Who is a Dependent?
What to do if you've already filed your return and it's been accepted
You will need to amend your tax return. Follow these instructions:
- Open your 2009 tax return and select Amend a Return.
- Answer a series of questions about your return, such as whether you e-filed or mailed your tax return.
- When you come to a screen that says Tells Us Why You Need to Amend Your Return, select the first option, I need to amend dependent info for my college-age child or other dependent, as shown below.
Update your dependent information
If you claimed as a dependent your child, aged 19 to 24 as of December 31, 2009, who attended college, select Your child away at college as shown below.
You will then be asked whether you paid tuition or other fees in 2009 for your dependent child.
Once you answer those questions, any additional refund will display in green in the center of your screen.
If you have a dependent who counts as Other Dependent Type, select that option, as shown below.
Check to see if you need to amend your state return.
Most people who amend their federal returns also need to amend their state returns.
When you’ve finished amending your federal return, you’ll come to State Taxes after you complete Error Check in Federal Taxes.
Follow these steps:
- Find your state in this document Amending Your State Return to Update Dependent Info.
- Select the State Taxes tab and continue through the state interview.
- Find the amend screen in your state return.
- Answer questions about amend: Continue through your state return and answer any other questions about your amended return (some states don't have any amend-related questions).
- Review and complete the state amended form: In most state returns, you'll come to a screen with the actual amended form. All of the info should already be transferred from your federal return. Fill in any additional information, paying close attention to questions and lines on the form that relate directly to amending your state return, such as the reasons for amending.
- Review your state return: Continue until you come to the Final Review and check for errors. Fix any errors found by TurboTax.
- Print your federal and state amended returns (amended returns can't be e-filed): Continue to the File tab and and then select the File by Mail button to print your federal and state amended returns.
- Sign your returns, then mail them. The addresses are in the filing instructions that print out with your returns.