Detailed instructions for amending your 2011 Virginia return
These instructions will guide you every step of the way, making the amend process easier and helping ensure the accuracy of your amended return.
We strongly recommend keeping this window open or printing this article so you can refer to it as you amend your Virginia return.
By the time you come to the Important: Read and Follow Your Virginia Amend Instructions page, we’ve already transferred any relevant info from your federal amended return to your Virginia amended return.
- Select Continue on the Important: Read and Follow Your Virginia Amend Instructions page.
- Next, we’ll ask you if you got a refund or owed money on your original Virginia return (the one you already filed), or if you’re amending because of a net operating loss. Answer these questions and enter any necessary info.
- Continue until you get to the Revisit Your Virginia Info page.
Review your Virginia amend info
You should now see the Revisit Your Virginia Info page.
Note: In most cases, we usually don’t need any more info and you can skip to Final steps.
But if you have additional changes you need to make for Virginia (see example below), you can go back to a specific section in your Virginia return.
Example of steps to make a Virginia-specific change:
- If you’re amending to add a contribution you made to a Virginia 529 College Savings Plan, look for the Adjustments section and select Update.
- Continue until you’re asked if you’ve ever had a 529 plan. Answer yes, and then answer the questions that follow and provide any requested info.
- Eventually you’ll come to the College 529 Contributions and Payments Summary page. Review your info and then select Done when you’re ready to move on.
- Continue until you get back to the Revisit Your Virginia Info page. (If you have any additional changes to make for Virginia, you can go to another specific area from here.)
- From the Revisit Your Virginia Info page, select Done with Virginia. At this point we may check your Virginia amended return for errors.
- Correct any errors and you should be good to go.
- Continue on to Wrap-Up.
- Print your Virginia amended return.
- You’ll be asked to print (and save) both your federal and Virginia amended returns in Wrap-Up.
- Note: If you’re amending only your Virginia return, you’ll need to print in File (not Wrap-Up).
- Sign and mail your Virginia amended return.
- Drop your amended Virginia return in the mail. Just like the IRS, the state of Virginia does not allow amended returns to be e-filed. The mailing address will be included in the filing instructions, which will print out along with your amended return. The filing instructions will also let you know if you need to attach any other forms to your return.
- That’s it! Once your Virginia amended return is in the mail, you’re all done.
IMPORTANT: If you started amending your state return and discover that you don't need to amend, please see Removing a State Amendment Form.