Alabama 2011: Federal Tax Deduction
Taxpayers can reduce their taxable Alabama income by a deduction equal to their federal tax.
Certain customers, who filed a 2011 Alabama return with a federal tax deduction, may have filed an incorrect tax return.
TurboTax has fixed this issue.
How to tell if you may be impacted
You may be affected if the following are true:
- You filed a 2011 Alabama tax return prior to January 28, 2012 AND
- Your Alabama Form 40 had a negative amount on Line 12, federal tax deduction
If you are affected, you may have underpaid your state tax. You may need to amend your state tax return.
You can make the corrections yourself.
- To do it yourself, please follow these step-by-step instructions.
- After you make the changes to your tax return, you will need to mail a copy of your amended state return to the Alabama Department of Revenue.
- Your printed return will include instructions on how and where to mail it.
- If you need assistance, call us at the phone number in the email you received from TurboTax.
Or let us do the work for you.
- Please download and print this Authorization Form.
- Complete the form and fax it to us at the number printed at the top of the form.
- A TurboTax representative will contact you (within 6 days) when your corrected return is ready to be securely emailed back to you.
- You can print, sign, and mail the corrected return to the Alabama Department of Revenue.
If you need to contact us, please use the phone number in the email from TurboTax and tell the representative you’re calling about the Alabama 2011: Federal Tax Deduction.