Workaround:Massachusetts: Nonresident Return Incorrectly Contains Royalty Income from another State
Some customers have experienced issues with Royalty income earned in another state included in their nonresident state of Massachusetts. This issue will only impact you if you are filing a Massachusetts nonresident return and earned Rents or Royalties in another state.
This amount can be allocated on the smart worksheet for the Massachusetts Form 1 NR/PY.
- Select the Forms Icon at the top right of the program.
- Locate the forms list of the left hand side of the screen.
- Once located select the Form 1 NR/PY form below Massachusetts Individual.
- Once selected scroll down to Non-Massachusettes Source Income Smart Worksheet (Non-Resident Only). This is directly below line 14.
- Locate Line D for adjustment to Rental.
- Enter adjustment amount on the corresponding line.
We are aware of this experience and are looking at ways to improve this area in future editions of TurboTax