How to clear or delete your State tax return
If you ever need to start your state return over from scratch, or if you decide against filing altogether, you'll find deleting a state return with TurboTax is quick and easy.
Click your TurboTax product below and we'll show you how it's done. Which one am I using?
Now, you can delete TurboTax Online returns that you have paid for, as long as the return's e-filing status isn't accepted or pending.
After you finish preparing your state return in TurboTax Online, you will have the opportunity to delete your state return on the We’ve Finished Your [State] Return screen, which appears right before we review your state return for errors.
If you missed that screen, or you later change your mind, here’s an alternate way to delete your TurboTax Online state return:
- Sign in to TurboTax Online.
- Click the State Taxes tab and proceed to the Status of Your State Returns screen.
- In the Action column, click the Delete link next to the state you want to remove.
- If you don't see this link, it's because your return's e-file status is pending or accepted. Check your e-file status.
- You'll be asked to confirm the deletion. Answer Yes.
- You'll return to the Status of Your State Returns screen, where you can another state or start over with a new state return by clicking Add Another State.
TurboTax CD/Download Software
In the TurboTax software, deleting your state return does not remove your TurboTax state program. If you accidentally downloaded the wrong state program, click here instead.
- Open your return in TurboTax.
- Switch to Forms Mode by choosing Forms from the TurboTax View menu.
- From the File menu, choose Remove State Return.
- Select the state return you want to delete, and then click Remove. Click Yes to confirm.
- To start your state return again, choose Step-by-Step from the View menu to switch back to Interview mode, and then click the State Taxes tab. Click Continue.
- From the TurboTax File menu, choose Remove [state] Data.
- Click Remove to confirm.
- To start your state return again, click the State Taxes tab, and then click Continue.