Schedule 8812, Child Tax Credit
What is Schedule 8812?
You can claim a child tax credit of up to $1,000 for each qualifying child you claim as a dependent on your tax return.
If the total credit amount for all qualifying children exceeds the amount of tax you owe for the year, you may qualify for a refundable credit called the additional child tax credit.
For more information on these, and other, calculations related to the Child Tax Credit, please see Child Tax Credit.
Entering Schedule 8812 into TurboTax
When you use TurboTax to prepare your taxes, we will calculate the amount of child tax credit you are due, and will complete all the necessary forms. You don't need to figure out whether or not your dependants qualify, just walk through the simple questions, and we will take care of the rest.
If you've already gone through the step-by-step interview and want to jump directly to the entry screen for this topic, follow these directions.
- Select the Federal Taxes tab (the Personal tab in the Home & Business edition).
- Select the Deductions & Credits subtab.
- Scroll down the Deductions & Credits screen until you see the You and Your Family group.
- Click on the Start/Update button to the right of the Child Tax Credit category.
- Follow the prompts.
If you need to correct or change any information you have entered on your 8812, the steps you take depends on if you have already filed your tax return.
- If you have yet to file your return, simply follow the navigation instructions above, and correct or change your information.
- If you have already filed your return, you will need to amend your return. Please click here for instructions.
For questions about printing, please click here.
If you have questions about the availability of form 8812, please click here.