How To Remove the Name of Your Former Spouse from Interview Questions
When you transfer prior year tax data into your 2011 tax return and update your Personal Information, the name of your former spouse may still appear in Interview questions.
If this applies to you and you have remarried, here's how to correct this issue.
- Open your tax return in TurboTax.
- Select the Personal Info tab then press Continue.
- On the Your Personal Info screen, next to About, select the Edit tab to change your spouse's name.
- On the Let's Check Your Spouse's Info screen, change the First Name of your spouse to match yours EXACTLY.
- In other words, if your name is Michael, change your spouse's name to Michael, too.
- Click Continue.
- On the screen What Shall We Call You?, enter the names that you and your spouse wish to be called within the program.
- Note: This will have no impact on your names as they appear on your tax forms.
- Click Continue to return to the Your Personal Info screen.
- On the Your Personal Info screen, next to About, select the Edit tab to correct your spouse's name.
Your former spouse's name should no longer appear in the interview.